San Bernadino Distracted Driving Accident Attorneys
Fighting Against Perpetrators of Distracted Driving Crashes
With the high traffic rates in California, the state saw a rising number of distracted driving accidents after cell phones became a commodity, and even more after texting grew to popularity. Drivers can allow themselves to become distracted by other things, as well. Perhaps they are eating while driving, adjusting the stereo, applying makeup, or even talking with a passenger.
If a person causes an accident because they allowed themselves to be distracted while driving, they are liable for any damages and injuries that result. Victims of these accidents can suffer catastrophic injuries that result in long-term impairment, debilitation, or even wrongful death. This is why you should hire a San Bernardino distracted driving accident lawyer immediately after being injured by a distracted driver. An attorney will be able to assist you in filing a personal injury claim and fighting the insurance companies for a fair payout.
On This Page
To counteract the number of car accidents, injuries, and deaths caused by the rise of texting and driving, the State of California passed a law in 2008 banning handheld cellphone usage while driving and another law in 2009 banning texting while driving. Even still, hundreds of injuries and deaths are caused every year by individuals who break these laws and drive while distracted.
Examples of distracted driving include:
- Talking on a cell phone or texting
- Eating and drinking
- Trying to grab something out of reach
- Changing the radio station
- Inputting an address on your GPS
- Talking with other passengers in the car
- Recording or watching videos
- Looking at something outside the vehicle, like the view, a billboard, or an accident
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), sending or reading a text while driving at 55 mph is like driving across an entire football field with your eyes closed. Unfortunately, stats such as this do little to deter motorists from distractions, which results in roughly eight Americans losing their lives every day due to a distracted driver.
Here are some tips to help you safely avoid distractions while behind the wheel:
- Use a mount for your cell phone: Never hold it in your hand while driving. If you must use your phone (as a navigation system, for instance) turn on voice commands so you can follow directions without having to look at it. Silence your phone so you aren’t interrupted by calls and texts— or tempted to answer.
- Take care of everything before you leave: Never get behind the wheel before you’ve taken care of everything that needs to be done before arriving at your destination. For example, finish eating, putting on makeup, and programming your GPS before starting your car. Alternatively, you can plan to arrive at your destination early to get everything done on time.
- Pull over: If you must do something while commuting that cannot wait, find a safe place to park your car and pull over. This way you can take care of any emergency calls or pick up that thing that fell on the floor without worrying about causing a crash.
- Lead by example: If you have children, never let yourself text and drive or fall victim to other distractions in front of them. Anything they see you doing will be internalized as acceptable, potentially putting them in danger when they learn how to drive.
According to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), handheld cell phone use ranks highest among drivers between the ages of 16 to 24. If you know any drivers in this age group, now might be the time to have a discussion about the dangers of distracted driving.
Attempting to file a claim without legal counsel or representation will significantly reduce your chances of a successful recovery. Only an attorney will be able to estimate how much your claim is truly worth and fight skillfully for fair compensation.
Vetchtein Law has represented numerous victims of distracted driving and can help you recover your damages, including:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
Our firm has an outstanding support system and will not stop fighting until the best outcome has been won for your case. Just take a look at our case results to see what we’ve been able to accomplish for clients just like you.